Tuesday 28 April 2009

Is the Eclipse over?

Sun is a company that has fascinated me always. Partly because I like Java. But primarily because of the innovative ideas that came from Sun and the revolution they brought about. It is an epic in itself when Java took the world by storm. I think it was even featured in Time in 1991 or 1992. May be there is no other company that gave this much to open source community and took away so little as profit.
I came to know, how ignorant I was about Sun, when my assumption that Sun is all about software was proved to be wrong. In fact Sun is all about hardware, with a pinch of innovative software. But that pinch is enough to add flavour to the needs of software community.
Now Oracle may take over Sun. What is in store ? Oracle gets the advantage of a hardware stack, opearting system (Solaris), and a stack of software. With all the pieces of software that Oracle have now, they can aim for the top. IBM only will be able to boast of such an end to end catalogue of products and solutions.
How this merger is going to affect the open source movement is something that I am waiting to see. MySQL which is an integral part of all solutions as of now, may prove to be critical. Will it become more restricted, with a developer and licenced version? Will Oracle allow it to continue ?
J2ME for microsystems, J2EE concepts - how will Oracle use and drive the passion?
It looks a win win situation for Sun and Oracle and may be some real interesting solutions may come through in future. Keeping my fingers crossed about the effects on the open source movement.
May be this is the start of the age of Oracle ....

P.S. I have left technical and company details behind, so that it becomes a general read

No comments:

Post a Comment